Tuesday, April 17, 2012

top ten tuesday: things i learned from pinterest



I've decided to start a new weekly tradition: Top Ten Tuesday! Every week I'll have a top ten list of some kind, presented in list, picture, or video form! And yes, I'll take suggestions for lists to make. ^_^

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm pretty obsessed with Pinterest, to the point that if you told me you didn't like it, I'd just stare at you in blank shock. And then maybe push you over. Because that's just weird. I've come to notice a few trends on this addictive little site, so I thought I'd share them with you.


Ten Things I've Learned From Pinterest

1. Pallets and mason jars can become anything.

Seriously. At least 75% of the DIY projects on Pinterest start with mason jars or those wooden pallets you can yoink from your local grocery. Got a jar? Make a lamp, a wine glass, an organizer, a potted plant. Pallet? Couch, garden, house, y'know, whatever.


2. The rising gas prices are Barack Obama's fault.

Yup. The price of a commodity in our country was decided on by the president. It has nothing to do with us using the shit out of a non-renewable resource. When was the last time you took a bike instead of driving a few blocks? Then yeah, you don't get to complain, because you're part of the problem, Mr. Hummer.


3. Your religion makes you stupid, or your lack of one makes you immoral.

One of the big issues that pops up a lot on Pinterest is religion. Mostly because many people, religious or not, can't mind their own business and have to stick their big, fat, close-minded noses in other people's affairs. Now, I myself am a Christian, but I am very open-minded, and have friends and loved ones of all religions and creeds. Do I think my atheist, pagan, Wiccan, etc friends are going to Hell? Well, no, but that's not really my place to say. But apparently, that's not the case for many Christians on Pinterest, who love to comment on things such as gay pride-related images to tell people that homosexuality is an abomination, but then have a board full of tattoos on their profile (which, according to Leviticus, is an abomination along with homosexuality). Likewise, you see a perfectly lovely Bible quote that's about love and forgiveness, and an atheist will undoubtedly jump in and tell everyone how uneducated and stupid they are being for believing in a high power. I just...there's not winning. There really isn't.


4. Women are not very nice to each other.

One of the main things that I witness on Pinterest as a recurring theme is that women can be catty bitches. Honestly, it appears to be most women's favorite hobby to go around criticizing other women. This is a big issue in the concept of weight and health, and I've begun to notice that the main lashing is at women who are thinner than the national average. If you told a larger woman to get on a treadmill, you'd surely be attacked, but how many times do you hear someone tell a thin girl to eat a cheeseburger, or something to that effect? And the idea of a "real" woman being a woman who is on the curvier side....how do you think that makes those without curves who ARE ALSO REAL WOMEN feel? Pinterest actually has a rule along the lines of "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all," but no one listens. Anyone who says that men and the media are the reason that women are insecure are absolutely incorrect; it is other women that cause the issue.


5. No boys allowed.

Also, Pinterest is sexist. Well, not Pinterest itself, but some of its users. I feel like every time that a man makes a comment on a pin, a woman comes in and says something to the effect of men not belonging on Pinterest. Who the fuck says?

Also, ladies, if you have a board filled with nothing but male eye candy, you're no longer allowed to judge men for ogling women. For cereal.


6. Disney created unrealistic expectations of everything ever.

The most common pins of this nature are that it gave us unrealistic expectations of men and hair. But let's not act like it didn't make men expect us to be perfect, gorgeous, petite and proper little princesses, either. Oh, and if you're expecting reality to be like a cartoon, you're clearly a bit touched, anyway.


7. Cupcakes and kittens make everything better.

Pretty sure this isn't just a Pinterestism, but scientific fact.


8. Never throw anything away.

Anything can be made into anything else. See #1.


9. No fiancé(e) does not equal no wedding.

100% of pinners have a board focused on a future wedding.
1% of pinners are engaged and planning an actual wedding.

My name is Emerie, and I am the 99%.


10. Citations and credit are unimportant.

"You have enemies? Good. That means that you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

The source? Winston Churchill. The source according to Pinterest? Eminem. Whatevs.

1 comment:

  1. haha this made me laugh so hard. It's soo true! I've only ever gotten caught up in the awesomeness of pinterest, mostly because I don't comment or read comments. But I definitely see the bad things you mentioned. Pinterest is a little out of control sometimes. Pretty much like tumblr, but not as bad. :P

    ReplyDelete